The first step in setting up your IDX website is the WordPress install on the Wovax servers. When you purchase any of our products, we will send a welcome email requesting some basic information, such as the final site URL, theme choice, whether you are migrating an existing WordPress site or starting from scratch, and the agent’s name and MLS board. Once we have this information we will set your site up on a hidden URL while it is in development. If you are building out the site yourself, we will send you logins so you can work on the site design while we are integrating the IDX. If you did not receive the welcome email, please check your spam or junk mail folders, or contact us at email@example.com with questions.
Wovax themes are built to work seamlessly with our plugins. Other themes may require additional CSS to integrate visually with the plugins.
To install a theme:
- Appearance > Themes, install the Genesis theme.
- Appearances > Themes, select Add New, then Upload Theme (top).
- Drag the zip file for the Wovax theme to the Choose File button and Install. If you need the zip file, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Appearance > Themes, Activate the theme.
- Settings > Permalinks, set permalink to Post Name.
- Plugins > Add New, select Upload Plugin (top left).
- Add the Wovax plugin zip file.
- Activate Wovax Core.
- Activate all other Wovax plugins.
- Properties > RETS Settings > Advanced Settings, copy the text in the Set Server Access Key text box.
- Send a) this key and b) your site URL to email@example.com.
- Wovax will set up the test properties.
To add fields to the search filter:
- Wovax Core > Search Filter > Search Filters
- Select a field from the Select Custom Field dropdown, and enter a Label and/or Placeholder Text.
- Choose the type of search from the dropdown (Numeric Minimum, Numeric Maximum, Existing Value, etc.)
- For a keyword search that searches the property title and description, select Search the Content.
- Select Add Search Filter.
To search hide a filter from the mobile app, uncheck the In App box.
To setup a custom search range:
- Wovax Core > Search Filter > Search Filters, select the field for the custom search range from the Select Custom Field dropdown and choose Custom Range from the Search Type dropdown. Add the Label and Placeholder Text, and Add Search Filter.
- Wovax Core > Search Filter > Search Filter > Search Range Builder, select the field from the Custom Range dropdown (you may need to refresh the page).
- If it is a monetary field, select Currency.
- Enter a set of custom search ranges.
- Edit the display text for each range (e.g. “$1,000,000+” for “$1,000,000 – $20,000,000”).
- Create a WordPress page with the URL domain.com/search-results (note: the plugins will not work with a different slug).
- Add the shorcode:
This shortcode will not work on any other page.
To add a search bar to a page, use the shortcode
Add these widgets to any widget area:
- Wovax Recent Posts – Displays listings by most recent or by taxonomy in rows of three. Set Post Type to “Properties” and Display Template to “Property Template.”
- Wovax Property Carousel – Displays listings by most recent or by taxonomy in a carousel format.
- Wovax Search Form – Places a search bar in widget areas of your site. Set “Use All Filters” to “no” to display a subset of search options.
- Send the RETS Login URL, username, and password sent to you by the MLS board to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not have logins or are unsure about this step, please contact us.
- Wovax will complete the rest of the setup. This process may take up to two weeks.
To limit the number of property fields on a specific search bar but not for the whole site, use the shortcode:
where 2 and 4 are search filter IDs (you can find search filter IDs under Wovax Core > Search Filter > Search Filters.
To edit the property sort settings:
- Wovax Core > Search Filter > Sort Settings. By default, search results display in descending order from newest listings to oldest. Change the default sort order with the Set Default Search Sort dropdown.
- To add more sorting options to the Sort dropdown on search results pages, choose a field from the Custom Field to Sort By dropdown. Choose a Sort Type, and Add Sort Type.
- Wovax Core > Configuration > Map Shortcode Configuration, add a Google Maps API Key.
- On the front end of your website, run a search for the desired criteria (e.g. city = “Bedrock”).
- Copy the URL (e.g. http://new_site.com/search-results/?8=All&5=&6=All&1=&4=Bedrock&2=&3=&cols=6).
- Add this as a Custom URL menu item or hyperlink anywhere on the site.
By default the property title is the street address.
To edit the titles:
- Properties > RETS Settings > Title and Status Settings, drag fields from Unused Fields to Post Title Modifiers or Featured Fields.
Post Title Modifiers appear in the title separated by dashes. Featured Fields appear under the title on separate lines in a smaller font.
To edit the fields that display on property detail pages:
- Properties > RETS Settings > Field Display Settings, drag fields from Hidden Fields to Above Content or Below Content.
- To remove a field, drag it back to Hidden Fields.
*Note: Most MLS boards have fields that are restricted and/or required fields for public display. Please check your MLS board’s guidelines.
To display a map on each property:
- Install and activate the Wovax Geolocation plugin.
- Customize the map display under Settings > Geolocation > Geolocation Plugin Settings. Adjust the width, height, position, and default zoom level of the map. To change the appearance of the map pin, click Upload Custom Map Pin and upload a new image.
The labels of property fields (e.g.”City,” “Bathrooms”, “Price”) are determined automatically by the Wovax plugin. To customize (e.g. from “Bedrooms” to “Beds”):
- Properties > RETS Settings > Field Aliases, choose a field and replace the text with the new title.
To edit the contact form that displays on each property:
- Properties > RETS Settings > Realtor Customization Settings.
- Edit the email address (form submissions will be sent to this email address).
- Edit the name, address, and phone number (these will be displayed on each property page).
NOTE: The contact forms are powered by the Jetpack plugin. This plugin must be activated (WordPress Dashboard > Plugins) and the contact forms enabled.
To add or edit the legal disclaimer and/or logo:
- Properties > RETS Settings > Realtor Customization Settings.
- Add/edit the legal notice under Legal Notice and Information.
- Add/edit the IDX logo under Upload IDX Logo.
To set the default image for properties with no photos:
- Properties > RETS Settings > Advanced Settings.
- Select Upload Default Property Image and choose a default image.
Some MLS boards provide images with white borders. To remove the borders:
- Properties > RETS Settings > Advanced Settings > Remove White Borders, select Turn On.
To change the photo gallery display:
- Properties > RETS Settings > Gallery Settings, choose from the Property Gallery Style dropdown.
All properties on your website may be found in your WordPress dashboard under Properties > All Properties.
To manually add a property to the site that is not in the MLS feed (e.g. a pocket listing):
- Properties > Import Status and click Halt Importing!
- Properties > Add New.
- Under Screen Options (tab in the top right), select the Custom Fields box.
- Enter the information for the property:
- Description – Enter remarks about the property in the text box below the Title field.
- Images – Add images of the property by clicking on the Manage Gallery button in the Wovax Post Gallery section and following the directions that appear. Click Save All Changes and close the window. If you have added more than one image, go to the Wovax App Post Settings section in the top right and change the Enable Gallery in App option to “Yes.” Click Update.
- Featured Image – Set a Featured Image to display in the list view of properties.
- Property Details – Toward the bottom of the page you’ll find Custom Fields, which has a subsection entitled Add New Custom Field. Click —Select— to choose the field you want to add. Enter the information for each field. (E.g. if the city is Bellevue, select “City” from the Name dropdown and “Bellevue” as the value. Add Custom Field.
- MLS # – Do not add an MLS# as a custom field. Put it in the description/body content area.
- Fields – If the name of the desired field does not appear in the dropdown, add it by clicking Enter New.” Enter the field name and value. Add Custom Field.
- Under Property Categories (right), check the Customized box. This will ensure that the automated process of importing MLS properties will not delete or overwrite your manually-edited property. If this property is a featured listing, check the “Featured” checkbox, too. Publish.
- Properties > Import Status, Resume Importing.
The new listing will now appear among the other listings on the site and will be searchable. However, automated updating and deleting will not apply. All edits and updates, including deleting, will have to be done manually. If you add a new listing manually before it is added to the MLS, please delete it once it is in the MLS to avoid duplicates.
To edit the description, title, photos, or field values of a property:
- Properties > All Properties, find and edit the property.
- Check “Customized” under Property Categories (otherwise the edits will be overwritten the next time new information is imported from the MLS). The property will no longer be updated by the MLS feed, so you will need to manually make changes to price, status, etc.
Properties on the MLS will disappear automatically as they go off the market. However, if you need to delete one manually:
- Properties > All Properties, delete the property.
- Go to Trash and Empty Trash.
Add a new Property Category:
- Properties > Property Category, Add New
Add properties to a category:
- Properties > All Properties, find the properties you want to add to the category using the search bar.
- Hover over the property title and click Quick Edit.
- Check the box for the appropriate category.
To create a page displaying properties in a category, use this shortcode:
[wovaxrecent taxonomy=wovax_property_category term=XXXXX]
where XXXXX is the slug of the category.
The Featured property category automatically pulls in listings for an agent or brokerage.
To set the featured properties:
- Contact Wovax with the exact name(s) and ID #s of the agent(s) or office(s) – email@example.com.
- Wovax will setup the Features category.
- Add the following shortcode wherever you want your featured listings to appear:
[wovaxrecent taxonomy=wovax_property_category term=wx_featured]
To permanently retain a listing on your site after it is removed from the MLS:
- Check your MLS board’s rules. Many do not allow the display of off-market properties.
- Properties > All Properties, open the property.
- Select Retained under Property Categories (right).
To retain all Featured Listings:
- Properties > RETS Settings > Advanced Settings, select Turn Preserve Featured On.
- Add the following shortcode wherever you want to display Retained listings:
[wovaxrecent taxonomy=wovax_property_category term=wx_retained]
wovaxsearchresults: This should only be displayed on the page domain.com/search-results. It must be displayed there in order for the IDX search on the site to work. This is its only use.
wovaxsearch Displays the search bar. Typically used only on the home page.
wovaxembed: This is most frequently used with additional shortcode arguments to display results for a predefined criteria, such as listings in a neighborhood, listings by a certain agent, etc. See additional documentation for wovaxembed.
wovaxsavedsearches: Displays saved searches (on a profile page or maybe a widget).
wovaxuserprofile: Displays a user profile.
ADDITIONAL SHORTCODE ARGUMENTS
Wovax Embed: wovaxembed displays predefined search results on a page. This example shows the search results for four bedroom homes listed by Connie Elliott within a certain radius of a specified geolocation, and it includes both list and map views. Use similar arguments to listings by any field in the MLS.
[wovaxembed latitude="40.574288" longitude="-111.845693" radius="0.01" listview="yes" mapview="yes" height="350" meta="Bedrooms=4&Listing_Agent=Connie Elliott" zoom="15"]
Search Fields: Limit the search fields on any search bar. This example is for the wovaxsearchresults page, and 2 and 4 are the IDs for search fields (found at Wovax Core > Search Filter):
Map View: Adjust center/zoom of default search results Map.:
[wovaxembed zoom="7" latitude="40.741895" longitude="-73.989308”]
Pagination: If not specified, the results will be paginated and will display the number of posts set by the search filter settings.
[wovaxembed pagination="no" posts-per-page="6"]
Map, List, and My Account tabs: If not specified, all three tabs will display on both wovaxembed and wovaxsearchresults.
[wovaxembed listview="yes" mapview=yes" accountview=“no"]
Geolocation: Adjust center/zoom of search map on wovaxembed and wovaxsearchresults.
[wovaxembed zoom="7" latitude="40.741895" longitude="-73.989308”]
Wovax App > Network Settings and Wovax App > Advanced Settings should be left alone. These are for internal Wovax development only.